Friday, November 14, 2008

Pumpkins Pumpkins Pumpkins



After I shopped the fun Hallowe'en deals at Party City, I decided it was time to dismantle 'Piggy Pumpkin' ie. Mr. Potato Head. Since we didn't cut the pumpkin open it didn't grow mould within 5 minutes the way that it usually does in these here parts, so we decided to cook it and eat it. After baking, scraping and pureeing it, boy was I ever underestimating how many gallons of pumpkin flesh we'd have to work with! I've already made a whole bunch of delicious pies from the Better Homes and Gardens October cover (they always taste better with fresh instead of canned pumpkin) with the help of the boys, and the other day they helped me wash seeds and make a monster batch of cookies that we were forced to bake as muffins because we have so stinking much of it. They are delicious, and much better as muffins. I was surprised at how fun it was to have the boys help me. Slow, messy with crazy sticky fingers, faces, and backs (don't ask me how that happened) but really fun and voila- a whole afternoon's worth of activities taken care of. They really dug it too, and it was fun to kiss all that batter off their faces!





4 comments:

Staci said...

Look at you baking with your boys!!! Not bad. I wish I could try some of the pumkin-stravaganza.

Eileen Young said...

Nothing is better than f-r-e-s-h. I always make my own pumpkin from scratch - I don't like canned pumpkin. Glad you found out for yourself. And what an ingenious way to help the boys develop new skills.
Grannie

Bobbie said...

We cooked a fresh pumpkin this year and were also shocked at how far one pumpkin goes! I was glad to see plenty of chocolate chips going into your cookies/muffins. That's a must in my mind. Looks fun!

Sherry Carpet said...

you made your own pumpkin puree?? i stand all amazed.

seriously, it was all i could do to carve ONE pumpkin. and the guts got trashed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails