Monday, August 02, 2010

"the creative family"

"Being creative is important: important to me because I feel myself to be a more complete person when my creativity is expressed; important to my children, who witness adults growing, sharing and learning creatively; and important to my family, who grow and connect by creating together." Amanda Blake Soule
Photobucket
I stumbled upon Amanda Blake Soule's 'The Creative Family: How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections' mostly because I thought the cover was cute, and it's taken my tentative discoveries of imaginative and creative play as a way to connect with my kids to a whole new level. While I don't know if I'll ever take it to the mat every day the way she does, I find her ideas inspiring. From putting up doorway and clothesline theaters, taking a nature walk with on-the-go art bags for some inspiring sketch-time in the woods, using both makeup and costumes to dress-up, gathering pinecones, grasses and berries for table displays, making afghans and cards for charity organizations and having family drawing time, she pulls out all the stops. There's a photo of her one year old daughter finger-crotcheting, her three year old son embroidering one of his drawings on a pillow.
Not particularly crafty until she started having kids and her 'creative spirit was awakened', her basic premise is that kids are happier when they are embracing their creative selves by developing and expanding their imaginations, and family connection is deeply nurtured when families create together.
I've already discovered some of her tenets- let your kids lead the way and it's actually easier to play when there's less toys around. So after wrapping a present for a friend's birthday party last week, Caleb asked about wrapping something for his Grandmother. Following her idea about handmade gifts, I asked him if he wanted to paint her a picture to wrap and he got very excited. While the boys have painted at school I've never had them paint at home because I know they'll all want to do it and just the thought of the four of them and that mess makes me want to pass out. A year ago I bought some paints, brushes and canvases from IKEA and have not once opened them; to be honest, the minute after I bought them I never had any intention of opening them. I guess I just needed a little push to get myself past the hesitation.
Photobucket
Still, it wasn't without great trepidation and a few second guesses that they were brought forth into the light of day. They hadn't dried up (darn!). Luckily it was Sunday so Ian was around to lend a hand. I have to admit the boys thoroughly relished their paint time, were absorbed for about an hour, and are so very proud of their creations. I was quite surprised to see how much Jack loved it- he actually made a very good painting completely on his own.
She has tons of ideas I plan on trying out over the next little while. Does anyone else have tips about what works for their kids and their families when it comes to creating things?
Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails