Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Crush on My Hood



I've learned to detect the changing of the seasons not by temperature, as in my native Alberta, but by foliage. Spring is my favorite. The pink star jasmine busts out and the air for blocks around smells like heaven, the fuschia bourganvillea with its otherworldly colour gives me a shout out, and the delicate California poppies seem to beckon for a cup of tea. The best thing is that I can enjoy it all just by heading out the door for my daily walk. I've always had a thing for this area, but I recently developed a serious crush on our neighborhood.

Star jasmine. The real inspiration behind the 'popcorn popping' song.


The homes here are small and modestly designed, but the lots and yards are a good size and everyone seems to have a green thumb, or hire really good gardeners. We're walking distance to all sorts of shops, restaurants, a great park. I want to stay here so bad it hurts sometimes! We're making the 2 bedroom situation work for now, but at some point we need 3 rooms. Today I saw a sweet two bedroom home for a reduced... drum roll please... $879000. Wow! What a steal! Sigh. I keep thinking that dropping real estate values are going to bring properties around here into our price range, the possibility is there from a historical standpoint, and nearly-acceptable areas close by are starting to hit our range. But for now I'm praying and hoping as hard as I can for a miracle. Please, let us stay. Maybe not forever, but at least another half decade of springs.

Julian gets ready to join me with his 'baby doggie'

making ourselves cozy in the ivy corner of our common backyard. Our manager has kindly allowed us to take it over with baby gear.

walking near the geraniums

I know this sounds horrible, but from a certain standpoint I think it's fair. GO RECESSION... GO!

9 comments:

GreenGirl said...

I wish your photos were scratch n sniff today! We still have snow. Thanks for sharing.

Katie said...

I totally miss those L.A. springs. And I love that Julian puts the dog in the Bjorn!

Laura said...

Beautiful. Even the Southern California freeways are pretty in Spring. I love all the wildflowers by the side of the road and how green the hills become.

Coleen said...

Westwood is the place to be anytime of year, but especially in the spring. Sounds like you're all blooming where you're planted!

Staci said...

I spent my single days in Westwood, and it is very pretty. I am glad you are really enjoying it. Just lately I've fallen in love with North Kentwood (are really nice part of Westchester). I just love a beautiful neighborhood!

C.J. Schneider said...

I had no idea L.A. bloomed like that! Gorgeous.

Jaima said...

So jealous! We are still hunkered down under snow . . . which is great fun when you can enjoy it. But we are still pretty tentative about taking little Eduardo out, so no skiing, sledding, or skating for now:(

Jaime said...

I wish our neighborhood nearly as beautiful, spring-like and inviting as yours! Please enjoy it endlessly!

Katey said...

I must admit that I'm rooting for the recession too, I'm quickly tiring of living in our little rabbit hutch. At least you have green and warm weather though, I'm guessing that Spring will take her own sweet time to mosey on up to Northern Alberta.

Related Posts with Thumbnails