Thursday, September 24, 2009

the DIY movement, Puente style


I love having our nanny, Isabel, help me out four days a week. I've just got too many doctor's visits and safety issues to cut her back, but having full-time help isn't something many families on one income do because it definitely comes at a cost. Over the past year I've been looking at creative ways to save money and have come up with quite a list of crazy things that somehow 'work' for our situation. All of them are a bit of a hassle, but save quite a bit overall because I went for high expenses and quick substitutes.


For example, I had my goal to nurse for one year which I did (and am still doing!) I made my goal and never bought formula! I also don't buy baby food (well, maybe once or twice and we went through it before you could blink), but make everything the babies eat. It would be quite a hassle to chop and cut those fruits and veggies for just one baby, but somehow it seems easy (did I say easy? easiER) to make food for two and the savings add up. I also use old cloth diapers every now and then for about a week. We never hire sitters, but instead do sitter-swaps with friends. For dates we've been going on bike rides and walks and getting movie tickets from Costco. I've made our own yogurt for the babies and as a buttermilk substitute in pancakes and waffles, Ian makes our syrup and for the past few months and I recently went through my closet and started making a few repairs and accessory purchases rather than buying a new post-preggers wardrobe. I'm surprised that once I got it out of my head to solve problems by making a purchase, the world of funky DIY has opened to me. I always see if I can make it myself, recycle something, or use craigslist.
SO, the newest thing I have to add to the list is studio photos. I love having recent, nice photos of my kids and our family. A couple weeks ago I realized I could save on ever paying for a photographer again if I just learned how to use the Nikon D80 camera Ian got me for my birthday awhile back. Then I wouldn't have to make appointments and drive out somewhere and risk multiple meltdowns! I found an online class, which was perfect for me because I didn't have to be anywhere, by Maggie Holmes, a famous scrapbooker and professional photographer. The class was a bit of an investment, but it was equal to or way less than the cost of a location family shoot so I feel like I came out ahead. I just did my first family photo swap too. I took photos for our friends the Taylors and then Justin, who also recently took a photography class, took photos of us. We all came out with so many good shots. I thought they turned out well and look forward to doing another one. I'll try to post more later.


I also finally learned how to use my camera. Let's just say it's embarrassing how little I knew about it. I'm still perfecting a few things, like focus, but I got to practice a lot on my kids and when they got sick of that, on friends in the area. Here are some other shots. I have learned a ton and loved every minute of it! I'll try to post more later, I have quite a few good ones!




Now if I can only figure out how to get myself ready with hair done and makeup on before 7pm at night... wonder if there's a DIY solution for that.

12 comments:

Jamie Onken said...

The boys are so cute and are getting so big! I love reading your blog and catching up with you. (even though you don't know I'm catching up with you)

Jaima said...

Great pictures Melissa! I love them. I'm impressed that you found ways to save money while developing a creative outlet at the same time!

Staci said...

Pretty great pictures! As usual, your ambition astounds me.

Katie said...

Your pictures look really good! So impressed with all you do...I need Ian to teach me to make syrup...no maple syrup around these parts...

lyndsey said...

dang girl -- nice pictures!! you're a great photographer -- and i'm so proud of you for all the cool diy projects.

p.s. i talked w/ EK yesterday at work for like 5 whole minutes. i was really nervous ;)

Nora said...

I love DIY projects! I have to recognize my limits, however. For example, no one is saving any money if I start making my own clothes. I like your idea, though, of adding a few accessories to stretch what you already have.

Eileen Young said...

Melissa, your photos are 'professional'. How about starting your own photo business in your own home ?
I know you have a lot of talent.
Grannie

Laura said...

I think the DIY solution for that is don't invest in mirrors. It's a DIM solution, but it works for me. Unfortunately, there's always a shiny toaster or something around to make you re-evaluate your approach.
So great, Melissa! You got some excellent shots. I've totally been trying to brainstorm ways to be less spendy lately to help assuage my stay at home mom guilt. You've given me some good stuff to think about.

Coleen said...

I think that anyone who can take photos of a Nana and make her look good is very good at what she does:) Mind you, when the photo includes beautiful grandsons then that helps anyone look good!

Lindsay said...

These photos are fantastic, Meliss. I am truly impressed. Loved the post as well and am once again inspired and motivated to be better. I love your blog!

Laura said...

Wow. Is there anything you can't do???? You are one impressive lady.

Bobbie said...

I love the pictures! I got a new camera and have been playing around with it, but I don't really a clue what I'm doing. Maybe I'll look into the online course as well. It's fun to see the growth in your boys!

Related Posts with Thumbnails