Saturday, August 23, 2008

the Babies are Here!

At 2am on Thursday someone decided to kick their water bag open. I was fast asleep and woke up to a huge gush of water- just like in the movies. I experienced a crazy adrenaline rush the likes of which I still don't think I've recovered from! We called my OB and two hours later the babies were out. I'm still trying to get my head around it. On the one hand I really wanted, and thought, we'd go longer. On the other, it was a miracle I made it so far. The babies (we're still working out the names) weighed in at 5lbs7oz and 5lbs3oz, which is very large for nearly-34weeker twins and had my tumm pulled to a 45cm+ fundal length. I started at >120lbs and wound up at 188lbs in just 7 1/2 months. Plus, they were in crazy positions, transverse but stacked horizontally on top of each other so I was extra stretched. (My doctor said she's never seen more unusual positions for twins!) No wonder I was in such agony every time I tried switching sides in bed! It was uncomfortable for all of us. So despite the fact that my labor predictor (fetal fibernectin test) came out negative only a week beforehand, the ship sprung a leak. All the bedrest, drugs or wheelchairs (which I was then using) in the world couldn't have kept these guys in there a minute longer.

It feels sort of strange to have them out now! For so long we've been focused on making our pregnancy successful, and even though I'm a bit bummed we didn't make our 36 week goal, we came really close. So far the babies are doing great. One has needed a little smidge of oxygen flow, but that's it. It's hard to say how long they'll be in the NICU- probably 2-3 weeks. They need to develop their sucking reflex, which typically kicks in a week or two from now. While I wish they didn't have to be in the NICU, I know it's going to give me a badly-needed opportunity to rest and recover. I leave the hospital in a day or two. If all works out well, I'm going to be very, very busy in a couple weeks from now when Caleb and Julian get home from their visit from Nana. Love you all! We couldn't have made it this far without you! We'll get photos up soon!

10 comments:

lyndsey said...

wow, congratulations!!! i love how you're so nonchalant about it -- AND blogging from the hospital. lol. can't wait to see pictures! i'm glad they are doing well.

Summer said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad that you made it to 34 weeks! Jenna was 34 weeks. Compared to your last experience I bet this will feel like smooth sailing. . . well, with two sets of twins, maybe not! I'm looking forward to hearing the names and seeing the pictures. We're happy for you guys and wish you the best.

Katie said...

Ahhh! We are so excited for you guys! I can't wait to see pics and I am so glad that you and the boys are doing well! Congrats!

Heather Bigley said...

wow. those are big for twins! my sister and i were only 4 pounders, and we went almost full-term.

congratulations!

stephanie said...

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you and Ian! A little earlier than you'd hoped, but everything sounds positive - what a relief. I can't wait to see pictures and hear more about your boys (all FOUR of them)! Wow!

jaymie said...

Congrats!!! so glad to hear that you and the boys are doing well. Nice work mama (and Ian). wishing you a speedy recovery and anticipating some cute photo ops :)

Jaime said...

i am so glad to hear the boys and you are doing well! 34 weeks wooo hooo! I am still counting on making it to 37- just 9 more weeks and please keep your fingers crossed.

Please post more photos when you are feeling like a champ again.

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!

Eileen Young said...

Melissa -
How nice to know the new twins have arrived - they look so precious. Four boys - you will be the 'queen of the castle' with so much male company to surround you. Lucky!
I had such a wonderful time with Julian & Caleb in Seattle. They are so adorable & had Gigi on the run. What a vocabulary & how well they can sing. We are delighted to welcome them into our extended family.
Love to all
grannie xoxoxoxoxoxo

Natalie said...

Congratulations! Way to go! I've been thinking about you guys a lot. Way to go!!!! You are amazing.

Congrats!

Michelle said...

HOOOOORRRRRRAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Two huge congratulations for you guys! That is a very healthy weight for twins...isn't it? I'm so happy for you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails