Monday, September 22, 2008

24 hr. Breastfeeding Challenge or let's get Jack home


Jack be nimble,
Jack be quick,
Jack take your huge feedings by mouth
or in the NICU you'll stick.

Jack is a better breastfeeder than bottle drinker, so in the interest of getting him out of there the minute his antibiotics are dosed up, the NICU lactation consultant recommended that we feed him by breast for 24 hours. As long as he exhibited weight gain at the end of the 'probation' (this really is starting to feel like a jailbreak!) the doctors could release him. It really wasn't too bad, except for the night. Ian and I stayed in one of the hospital rooms and I tandem nursed Christian and Jack at the same time. OK, that is the wierdest feeling ever to have two babies sucking on the breast at the same time. I thought I was going to cry or giggle or sneeze, or all of the above simultaneously. It also dawned on me for the first time, that mostly-exclusively breastfeeding twins might be a bit more than I bargained for, since I thought it was the same thing as breastfeeding one baby for some reason.
Anyways, the hoop was successfully cleared. Jack gained 20grams or something, and then afterwards started taking his bottle like a rockstar. If all goes well he'll be home within 24 hours of this post!

4 comments:

Sherry Carpet said...

oh, mama. reading this post i feel your internal conflict: i'm not sure whether to laugh or cry for you! how about both?

ashlee said...

Yeah! I hope all went as planned with Jack coming home. I know I say this every post, but you are seriously amazing. Those are 5 lucky boys. Christian is so cute. I just want to snuggle with him.

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

Yay!! Congrats on getting him home. We can't wait to meet both of the new little ones - and Josh really wants to play with Caleb and Julian if you ever want to send them over:)

Jaime said...

Hey, I've been reading that book too. Love the info, but, don't love all the photos of topless women nursing twins. Strange that I would even care...

Yeah for Jack! I am soo happy he is home and you are all together.

Related Posts with Thumbnails