Friday, September 05, 2008

hangin in there!


Well, as fate would have it our NICU stay appears so far to be neither short, nor sweet. Late last week Jack got pretty sick with a kidney infection, and the infection caused a little congenital cyst he had in neck get really, really swollen. While everything seems to be resolving slowly but surely now, the swelling is making it hard for him to open his mouth for oral feedings. They have mentioned the possibility of surgically removing the cyst as well, although we are hoping that it resolves on its own and that won't be necessary. We are trying to get Christian to eat from a bottle. He starts out really strong but gets sleepy quickly so he hasn't made significant progress yet. So, it's been two weeks and we don't have an exit date in sight yet. Everything has been going so well and they were born at a pretty good age for twins we weren't mentally preparing ourselves for any setbacks!!
We are working hard to stay positive, and last week my friends Laura and Valerie threw a shower for me! It was soo much fun and I got spoiled rotten. We kept the gathering really small because I'm still recovering from the surge and didn't want to get tired out, and everybody showed up in their pjs and brought frozen meals and some other nummy goodies too. I thought I'd throw up some photos because they were too cute!! Laura lead some of the best shower games ever, including name-that-bedtime-story and then gave me everything I could ever need for tucking the little guys in- Val brought the cutest bumble bee diaper cake, washcloth lollipops and a diaper change 'kit' for Ian (see the apron packet below). Lindsay made me a nursing cape, the whole gang just showered me with amazing gifts, it was the best.


everybody was too awesome!





the food was sooo good!

8 comments:

Sherry Carpet said...

wow! looks like you got showered in style! i am so glad you put up this post--i've been trying to give you all some time before calling but i almost broke down and did it yesterday to see how things were going. i love the names you chose.

i only wish you could be home enjoying your new loves and that you could be free from the worry and uncertainty. we will be praying for you and the boys and thinking of you often.

love, krista

ps - thanks for your post on my blog! excellent points. no easy answers.

Katie said...

I love the pics...you girls are so darn cute. I am sad that I missed the shower but glad that you guys had such a good time. Keep the faith!

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

I'm so sorry Meliss - let us know if you need anything.

ashlee said...

You are seriously amazing. I think I write that everytime I post on your blog but it just gets more and more true. I'm so sorry for the setbacks. We will be praying for you guys.

C.J. Schneider said...

Wish I could be there with you. I'd love to chat on the phone with you sometime. Do you have a mobile number I could call you on?

Jaime said...

What a party! I love the pajama idea AND this is the first I've heard of their names - Jack and Christian. You know I LOVE the name Jack. You just can't go wrong with that one ever.

I am sending you love, support and energy to see you through this crazy time. I hope you feel super soon and that both boys are home and healthy in no time.

We are doing well and slowly plugging along. Just hit 29 weeks, so we are still in the game and both munchkins are still talking to me and kicking often.

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you are surrounded with such an awesome group of friends (but am I even surprised, it's YOU!) that are such a support to you. Hooray for parties and pajamas!

Scott said...

hey melissa, hope those little guys will be cuddled up in your bed soon.

love the names.

Related Posts with Thumbnails