Sunday, June 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Cake


Ian and I threw our first 'real' birthday party for Caleb and Julian on Saturday. I've so far avoided having to bake them a birthday cake, but this year they were too aware and excited about their birthday to put it off. I find cake making has been one of those surprise mommy-skills I didn't realize I would need until I need it! Caleb and Julian chose their own cakes from a magazine (completely on their own!). They were a bit out of my league and I had to do some research online to find out how to make meringue buttercream frosting (my first batch was a disaster!) But luckily it all came together. 12+ of their little friends ran around in the backyard in our wading pool. They had a blast running away from Ian as he squirted them with a hose. Unfortunately most of our photos got erased... we will just have to remember what a fun party it was. They certainly seemed to feel loved, and that's what matters.


8 comments:

Eileen Young said...

Wow what a culinary feat! The cakes look scrumptious. Glad birthday party #1 went well. I am awaiting birthday party #2 at Fixsens in Edmonton. Hope you travel safely.
grannie

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

I'm so sad we missed it. We'll drop off their presents sometime this week. and the cakes looked amazing!

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

I'm so sad we missed it. We'll drop off their presents sometime this week.

Staci said...

What amazing cakes...you are the best Mommy ever!

Katie said...

Looks like the party of the year! Happy b-day to Caleb and Julian!

Julie said...

Cute cakes! Happy birthday boys!

Sherry Carpet said...

gorgeous cakes! i love the candy encrustation. we would have loved to come -- silly Evite is constantly thwarting me.

Morgan Moore said...

You are such a good Mama- everything looks wonderful!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails