Wednesday, May 07, 2008

No Pain, No Gain

I woke up this morning with a stabbing pain in my right side. I could barely move without doubling over. I always find it so hard to contact a doctor out of office hours, I feel like I'm interrupting something really important, and then I feel stupid when my 'concern' turns out to be something that anybody would know not to worry about. I made the call, and realized I had an awesome doctor when she called me back within 45 seconds. After a few questions she told me to lie down on the side that hurt and drink a bunch of water. After two hours if I was still in pain I needed to come into the office.
After two hours I still had stabby feelings. Oh no, I thought, this is it. My mind flashed back to my last pregnancy when came into the office to check on something. It seemed fairly harmless at first, except before I knew it I was admitted into the hospital and had a nighty shoved on me. I brushed my teeth slowly, and thought for a minute about grabbing some other toiletries to bring with me, just in case.
As I sat in the dr's waiting room I calmed down, breathed deeply, and just tried to think positive thoughts. "My body is capable of carrying these babies until September, my body is capable..." I suddenly realized I was talking out loud. The lady sitting next to me was staring at me, unblinking. I told her she didn't have to worry about calling the doctor, I already had. Luckily I got called in right then.
My doctor sat me down, checked everything out, and said I looked great. Then she told me that I had permission to call her 20 times a day, because we're all going to be a lot happier if I make a phone call rather than have my babies early again. Laughing shakily, I agreed. I felt kind of silly, but also relieved at the same time. She gave me a hug and I knew it was going to be OK. She's pretty sure it's ligament pain and said it would most likely be gone by the end of the day if I rested up. Good thing I didn't bring my travel bag.
Meanwhile Ian took a sick day and played with his boys while I rested. I've never seen them have so much fun together. They chased each other in the tunnels, read stories, took a bath, set up the baby picnic table that's been sitting around for weeks, and went to Jamba Juice. I am so grateful. Things could not have ended better for all of us!





2 comments:

Sherry Carpet said...

your doctor is a queen among women. and you deserve it! i feel the same way about calling docs but you've inspired me to be more brave. -krista

Our Family said...

What a great doctor and husband. I'm so glad everythings okay and I hope the pain has left you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails