Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dramedic Cake Adventures

This is the cake that I wanted to make Jack and Christian for their first Birthday. It's from a Martha Stewart Baby magazine I bought like 9 years ago.

Sailboat Cake- This glossy sea of dreams is made to delight even the most land-locked little boy. Fluffy icing, tinted the gentlest blue, is scalloped into waves around the sides of a chocolate cake that's swimming with fish cookies. A homemade paper sailboat crests the frothy waves of the cake's surface

Caitlin Flanagan hit the nail on the head when she said, "I fall mute and wondering at the pages of Martha Stewart Living."

If grown women had a fairy tale book, it would be Martha Stewart Omnimedia. Suspended in time and space on glossy magazine pages these images whisper of a beautiful world where fluffy icing is scalloped into waves swimming with fish cookies. But reading the instructions is a jolt of cold water into reality. Flanagan continues, "Much of the Stewart enterprise, of course, involves a certain level of fantasy and wish fulfillment, having to do not only with the old dreams of wealth and elegance but also with the new one of time. That many of Stewart's projects are time-consuming is in fact part of their appeal... " These projects always call for something obscure, and when the creations do appear in real life, the response is often along the lines of- why the heck did you spend so much time making that? I once handed these very Marthaesque invitations I had made out to a group of friends, and the first thing that one girl (who I didn't know very well by the way but was trying to be inclusive so she got one too) said was, verbatim, "Wow. You have waaay too much time on your hands."

The joy-killers are right. These projects do take an insane amount of time, especially when one has two sets of twins and the project they have settled on calls for four separate recipes involving a frosting tip and piping bag, blue and white sanding sugar, a candy thermometer, an inverted spatula, cake comb, meringue powder, good quality cocoa, and another set of instructions for an origami paper boat with a bamboo skewer. Honestly.

Flanagan says that people appreciate what MS does but nobody actually does it themselves! Nobody except.. well... dreamy quacks like me. A couple times a year I have to dive into one because I LOVE the magic quality that these time-consumers kick out (if you don't know what I'm talking about, go to Disneyland. Creating that fantastic hyper-reality keeps an army of gardeners/repair people busy. But they, of course, get paid for it.) Not that my kids receiving the cake appreciate it, my husband points out. That's true, and unfortunately our child care responsibilities are so demanding that any project I take on he has to shoulder too. I know they're turning ONE, not three, and they're not going to remember a lick of this. But still... I just have to make a Martha Stewart sailboat cake for them. Something inside of me, that sighing, romantic inner me propels me forward, especially after reading this pitch penned by MS staffers: "take a moment to recall your own childhood birthdays. Ask around and you'll discover that for most people, it is not the guests, the place or even the presents that are remembered, but rather the birthday cake. Made by a grandmother, aunt, or parent, a special cake is well worth the effort... it will foster memories that linger for years..." Wow, super syrupy and probably about as true as a happily ever after ending, but I want to believe that the magic and love of a fancy cake will lift someone. Jack and Christian only have their first birthday ONCE IN THEIR LIFE, and I wanted it to be memorable, even if they couldn't remember it. So as irrational as it was, there's no way anyone could talk me down from the ledge.

First stop is the well-stocked Ralph's supermarket, but unfortunately, I discover that sanding sugar, meringue powder, cake combs and inverted spatulas are not to be found. As I'm searching, Caleb and Julian put the entire contents of the baking aisle inside my cart. Sorry Ralph's worker who had to sort out the huge pile of chocolate pudding, lime jello, organic rice flour and peach cups I stacked on top of the bagged kidney beans as I got the heck out of Dodge.

LA is surprisingly very non-craft friendly, even the Michael's in Santa Monica is pretty lame, although they do have cake combs and frosting supplies. Locating a sanding sugar outlet=an errand for Ian. I've already spent about five times what it would have taken to make a sheet cake and I haven't even turned on my oven. A less tenacious mother of two sets of twins would have called it a day, but unfortunately, I am extremely stubborn.

The next day I made the origami sailboats, and the next day I made the sugar cookie dough, with my two little helpers, and the next day, which was the day before the party, I cut the dough into fish shapes using a paring knife and which TAKES FOREVER!! Dealing with sugar cookies is such a mess because it sticks to every surface, even when I use tons of flour, and the dough keeps tearing around the edges when I try to cut it into shapes. Getting through all the dough really took a long time. I'd like to see these frustration photos in MS.

Flanagan said Stewart presents a vision of domesticity that involves as much make-believe as practicality, that is filled with allure and prettiness rather than the drudgery and exhaustion of which we are all so wary...

She's so right about the vision presentation devoid of drudgery. Cutting the cookies was drudgery, and so was shuttling the cookie sheets around to get them all baked, but frosting them was outright tricky. The royal icing, made of meringue powder, didn't want to adhere itself in straight, clean lines like Martha's fish cookies, but got smeary around the edges, and we can't have that magical look happening if the edges are smeary. Plus, my helpers wanted to be involved, so of course, my patience got tested beyond excruciating as they glopped icing on the table and constantly tried to eat it. Although I have to say, overall, they're very sweet and I am trying to keep the experience fun so I couldn't get too mad. After a few deep breaths I finally realized they were perfect sanded-sugar-sprinklers.


After the kiddos went to bed I got to work on the cake batter. This particular cake is a double layer square, and I didn't have two 8 in. square cake pans, of course, nor thought I would ever need a second square cake pan again in my life, so I opted to bake each layer one at a time. The problem was that I guessed way too low when I filled the first pan and wound up cooking too much in the second. It was very late, and after baking the second pan 40 min. longer than the longest recommended time, it still wasn't done so I slid it back in the oven and lay down. The next thing I knew it was 2am and the smell of something burning had roused Ian from a deep sleep. He rushed to save us all from death, which meant he didn't get up for his marathon-training run, which meant that he had to go in the evening instead, which made us all grumpy... this cake was really getting on everyone's nerves.

Despite the fact that I was way more organized that I usually am, there was so much to do the morning of when I looked at the clock as I pulled out the replacement layer, inexplicably there was only one hour before the party was supposed to start. I made the icing that required the candy thermometer, and it got stiff so fast I didn't have time to use the inverted spatula, so in a frantic scramble I just started throwing icing onto the cake with my bare hands. At one point Caleb came up to me and forgot what he was going to say when he looked at me. My eyes were wild, I had icing smeared all over me and I looked like clawwoman because my hands were three times their normal size.


Somehow I managed to comb the cake and stick on the fish cookies and slap on the sailboats. My icing wasn't quite as pliable as I think it was supposed to be, so it wasn't perfect (aargh!) but it looked pretty good.

It was ten minutes to go time and we still had to set everything up. Ian, who had been picking up balloons and tables all morning was begging me to get outside, but I still had to change out of being clawwoman. I told him that everyone is usually late and there was still time; I can't count how many parties we've done over the years where the first guest shows up 30 min. after start time. Except today. Saturday, August 22 wound up being so jam packed with other events that our first guest got there on the dot and two others arrived within five minutes. Everyone was very helpful though, which was perfect because I was frantically able to get it all assembled. But everyone also had to leave early, and so when cake time rolled around there were only about five people left, which was perfect irony. But it was also very nice because the moment was low key, relaxed, and maybe, just maybe, a little bit magical (despite the fact the fish were trying to take off).


Jack and Christian 'played' with their baby friends, and we also pulled out the parachute. The parents got underneath it in a parachute house for a minute with the kids, whose faces were squiggly with delight.





All in all it was a fun party, and a big thanks to everyone who celebrated Jack and Christian's special day with us. They're one! I never thought we'd make it through this year, but somehow we did with enough energy to spend a week making a cake. I'm still working on finding the balance between putting in a lot of effort into something special and finding magic on the fly. While we cleaned up, Ian told me that the cake looked really great. But later, the next day, he asked me if I could make a sheet cake next year. One last Flanagan quote came to mind:
"The Stewart fantasy encompasses the feminine interest in formal weddings and gracious entertaining, but principally—and more powerfully—it turns on a wistful and almost shameful attraction to ironing boards and newly washed crockery and (crazy-insane cake experiences). And on this wan longing, Stewart has built an empire."
I said I'd think about it. It doesn't hurt to indulge the wan longing once a year, does it?

19 comments:

Staci said...

After this post, I am pretty much sure you are nuts. Beautiful cake! Are the boys still nursing?

2x2momma said...

Yes, I have to agree with you, but I've known that for a long time. I am still nursing!!! And we still haven't had to buy any formula. Hurray!

Staci said...

That is so wonderful! What an accomplishment. If I am ever blessed with twins, I know who I am going to for advice.

PS - I am also over-ambitious/nuts about many things. For instance: cloth diapering TWO kids at once without a washer or dryer in our unit or a diaper service. I often feel like the more I put into motherhood, the more I enjoy it. Other times, I think need to work on balance and boundaries, just a little bit!

Julie said...

Congratulations to the two one-year-olds! That is an event to make a big deal about. I laughed throughout your post. I do the same thing on my kids' birthdays. I bought an entire Wilton's tip set just so I could decorate three cakes a year. I think it's worth it - even when I'm complaining because I'm decorating at 2:00 a.m. and Ben is giving me zero symapthy because I brought it all on myself. I'm totally supportive of your wanting to make the perfect cake. Although, I admit, just two weeks ago, I bought Robert's cake. I just couldn't work it into the schedule. Purchasing the cake did bring some relief, but also some regret. I'm going to make it next year.

Eileen Young said...

melissa-
I know modern girls are students of martha stewart. I began my life with a very practical cookbook: Betty Crocker - and she is still available, aftere all these years. her chocolate cake made with buttermilk is the b-e-s-t!! Anytime I serve it I get ravecomments. I'll send you the recipe, if you would like.
Grannie

LiNds said...

I think it's wonderful that you made such a great cake for your boys, and that it turned out so well! That's also nice that you give credit where it's due to Ian, too!

tracy said...

awesome post! you are a wonderful storyteller. i loved every minute of it. i appreciate that you exposed the behind the scenes reality of that beautiful cake.

tracy said...

awesome post! you are a wonderful storyteller. i loved every minute of it. i appreciate that you exposed the behind the scenes reality of that beautiful cake.

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

You're hilarious and so brave! I'm so bummed I had to leave early. I totally stressed out about Josh's birthday and I made a sheet cake and let him decorate it.

Katey said...

Happy Birthday to Jack and Christian, and congratulations to their Mum and Dad on making the one year mark! Sometimes, a little magic is worth a lot of work-you just have to pick your battles. Have you tired the MS giant chocolate cookie cake? It's super easy, but looks spectacular, not to mention scrumptious!

Laura said...

It was a pretty AMAZING cake!

Lindsay said...

You are so amazing! I'm glad you shared the ups and downs of the cake experience, cause I left the party (after seeing that cake) pretty sure that you have more than 24 hours in your day. :) You again amaze and inspire.

Jaima said...

Great post. I'd love to read the Caitlin Flanagan article you mention. She is one of my fave writers. Anytime I see that she has contributed to the Atlantic I make sure to pick it up. I think the last one I read of hers was a review of Twilight entitled- "What Girls Want: Vampires". It was a great article, and I think did a good job explaining why Twilight appeals so strongly to so many. Certainly I identified with the reasons!
Anyways, I am in awe of your finished cake. It looks just like the magazine (I have tackled a number of Martha Birthday Cakes myself, and I have learned that mine usually don't look like the photo bait with which Martha lures me in).
I completely understand your cake compulsion. I have a huge hang up that "good mums" make work of art birthday cakes, and plan elaborate theme parties hosted in their immaculate homes . . . You have seen that I don't quite make it to the mark at the pirate party, but, well, I try. I think the craziest thing I ever did was Ivy's "Castle Party". In a fit of insanity, I decided to sew capes for all 12 children attending. Incidentally, these capes were from a Martha Stewart article on Halloween costumes centered around capes. This was Ivy's 5th birthday, we had moved into our house weeks before, Blake was a demanding two year old, and I was trying to sew a ridiculous number of capes because I thought capes would be cooler than plastic bags filled with the usual assortment of dollar store crap you end up throwing out behind your childrens' backs one week after the party. Well, it was pretty stupid and I just about had a nervous breakdown getting the capes done in time, but the party was super fun, and I have had the satisfaction of seeing the capes used at friend's houses years after the party, so it was worth it in the end . . .I swore I would never do something like that again, but this year, for Ivy's 8th birthday party, I have sewed sleuth kits- little purses with vintage Nancy Drew covers on them for her- you guessed it- Nancy Drew themed party. I have got myself a 50's style polka dot house dress to play the role of Hannah Gruen at the party, and well, you can probably imagine the rest from here. Did I mention that I have this huge hang up about what the "good mum" standard of a birthday party is?

Jaima said...

P.S. I also seem to recall a batch of beautiful bug cupcakes you made for Julian and Caleb's party a few months ago, which I also recognize as Martha. The cupcakes looked fantastic! The Martha recipies may be enough to drive me to drink (almost!) but you pull them off with beautiful results!

2x2momma said...

I laughed at your MS hang up too, how funny about the cakes! Caitlin Flanagan wrote the MS article for Antlantic Monthly several years ago: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200209/flanagan

Laura said...

Aah Melissa. You and I are the same brand of crazy, my friend. After decorating Liam's 1st birthday cake, all the muscles in my hands and forearms were sore for three days.
I actually just bought the MS Halloween magazine 2 days ago to be supportive of Chris' love of Halloween. Of course, almost immediately he found a picture of a layered chocolate hazelnut crepe cake he asked if I could make. Like an idiot, I said yes.
Meanwhile, I'd love to help next time! (My cake decorating set- named Jan, incidentally- only gets used once a year. I think she must be sad about this.)

Coleen said...

I still miss all the fabulous Wilton cake pans - the sneaker cake pan! the teddy bar pan! the Barbie doll pan!- that in a moment of insanity I gave away in one ill-fated move! :)
Guess I'll have to be there for your next birthday cake drama so that I can sous chef that sheet cake into what - how about a miniature Disneyland theme park!?

Sherry Carpet said...

oh, melissa. so funny. so exactly how i feel. i love ms. flanagan and cracked up when i read her take on martha. girl's got insight.

you are so right to pair the word cake with "magic." cake both requires and yields magic, in spite of the insanity. i very fondly remember the scriptures cake my mom made for my 8th birthday.

i also remember several cake debacles in my history, some of which had to be hidden under the bed until everyone left.

sigh. thanks for the post.

p/s - you must call me next time you undertake a project like this; i had the same mournful story of trying to find meringue powder and some of martha's other mythical ingredients.

elizabeth kartchner said...

that cake turned out great! so did the party!

Related Posts with Thumbnails