Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Guess which babies are going to be on Courteney Cox's TV show?


A few weeks ago I was chatting with a mom from my twins group WLAPOM (West LA Parents of Multiples or "Oui La Pomme" as Ian calls it, which, coincidentally is French for "yes, the apple"). This mom told me that twins are very desirable for television work, even if they're not identical. She should know, because her kids booked multiple episodes on a show and they're a boy and a girl. I've never been very attracted to the idea of hauling my kids around to sit and wait at an audition, surrounded by hundreds of other hopeful moms about to get their dreams crushed, but when she told me that she's never done an audition AND all the money they made was set aside for college funds, I decided it wouldn't hurt to check it out.
Several weeks later out of the blue the agent called. Jack and Christian had been selected to attend a "paid interview" for Courteney Cox's series (in it's second season) Cougar Town. They wanted to talk to the moms to see how we were to work with, and the agent's assistant recommended bringing Baby Einstein toys for them to play with so they'd be fun and interactive. Three sets of twins were being interviewed and two sets would be selected to be on multiple episodes so the odds of getting picked were pretty good.
Oh. Ok. I hung up and wasn't exactly sure what my response should be. I chose: I'm not going to make a big deal about this. But then I wasn't sure. Shouldn't I at least try a little to have them get chosen? I vacillated between grilling myself on possible questions and what my responses should be (mental notes went something like this: make sure to tell them the boys were on a USC student film and they LOVED being on set, as did I!! Everyone was thrilled to work with us!!!!) and debating about whether I should give the boys a bath that day because I didn't want to look like I was trying too hard. In the process, I was, of course, making a big deal about it.
When Monday rolled around I had a lot to do! I had to drive out to Van Nuys to the Board of Labor building (which is now closed the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Fridays of the month to cut the state budget deficit) and show the uncaring lady at the desk the kids' birth certificates so she could do up work permits. (It's for TV, whoopdee do she eye-rolled). While we waited I overheard batches of moms with sullen, extra-groomed kids in tow talking about how 'their agents should have faxed it in' and 'you promise it will be ready today? And what's your name?' I had to get Ian to run to the bank on the studio lot and set up a required Coogan account so our kids wouldn't be like little Jackie Coogan whose parents blew his millions and left him penniless when he grew out of his child stardom. Because after all, they could be making millions too. They could!
When we got home I bathed the babies, and then I thought about trying to trim Jack's hair so it would be the same length as Christian's. Ian told me that was way too much, so I tried to get his hair a little more curly so it would at least match more. (We were asked to dress them in matching clothes, but it wasn't necessary). I realized that I had a couple perfectly adequate matching outfits, but they were stained or shrunken a bit and I wanted my kids to look amazing for their first TV opportunity that would be the start of it all!
I rushed to the mall and bought super cute long sleeved shirts and matching overalls with a dog made of buttons on the front (it's for an interview for a TV show! I told the sales clerk. she nodded knowingly). The outfits cost more than the babies were making that day, but I didn't care. I had completely thrown my 'don't make it a big deal' strategy out the window because this had become a VERY BIG HUGE FREAKING DEAL. I hurried back, woke Christian up, dressed them both and headed over to Culver City for 'the interview,' my heart pounding and my palms greasy.
I pulled up to a huge set with hundreds of people milling about. The security guard pointed me to the 2nd Assistant Director. My guess is that she's in her very late thirties, but she looked much older. She was boney and her face was lined with stress wrinkles from a decade of running around on production sets. She smiled tightly and pointed me over to a grassy lawn where two women who were dressed alike held twin boys, also dressed alike. They were standing downwind from a grill that was churning out tons of smoke as it fed the masses seated under shade tents nearby. Somehow I had envisioned an air-conditioned room with couches and more attentive handlers. The other babies were dressed in well worn clothes, they were not wearing brand new outfits. This was not going according to plan. Then two other women, each holding identically matched baby boys, also in casual, well worn clothes, showed up on the lawn. As I was putting Jack and Christian in their stroller, the 2nd AD and another lady walked by and glanced at them, then headed over to the other moms on the lawn. I grabbed some wipes and scrubbed the babies' faces. As I walked up to the lawn the 2nd AD was asking the other moms if they could come tomorrow at 11 and 1:30pm. The other babies were pretty cute, and smaller than Jack and Christian, but my kids were definitely cuter. Let's get this started, I thought. Then I heard the 2nd AD say, OK, you guys can pack it up.
I haven't exchanged a single word with anyone yet, I thought. Must be some mistake. The other moms and I stood around and chatted for awhile and waited some more, they all told me they thought I was so brave to come alone... I was really wishing I had brought someone else with me so I'd be a little more together.
Then another lady told us, very loudly, we were done and it was time to pack it up and they'd give us a call with their decision. But they didn't hold my babies, I told her. They saw everyone and made a decision. We'll give you a call, she said.
WHAT?!? That was IT?? I hadn't even talked to anyone. Had anyone actually gotten a good look at my kids? So that glance back by my car? THAT was 'the interview.' And as I realized that the 2nd AD hadn't directed her question about showing up the next day to me...
In my mind, I know that this process is like going to the hardware store and looking for a particular size of screw- and Jack and Christian were not the 'size' or whatever you want to call it, that they needed for this show. The screws that don't get picked don't get mad or feel screwed, ;), they realize they weren't the right size, fill out their forms, and go home to set the table and check their email. In my mind I know this, but to my surprise, a huge sob was demanding to be released from my throat.
I never did get a call, and as the irksome silence sent me into a tailspin, I realized I had done a TERRIBLE job of making the whole thing no big deal. I can't believe I was thinking about trimming Jack's hair!! And I felt like the world's biggest dork for buying brand new outfits and making up question answers in my head. Oh dear, oh dear, my propensity to go the extra mile is good for some things, but definitely not for this.
As I started to drive myself crazy by replaying 'the glance' in my mind (if only I had someone else with me to hold the babies so they weren't in their stroller practically on the road, or if I hadn't been by my dirty car which I should have washed!) I realized how much I love being the one that gets picked and have exciting things happen to me. Don't we all. And I realized that there probably wasn't anything differently I could have done. I tried my hardest, I did my best, (to a fault?) and sometimes, or maybe most of the time, you just don't get picked. Living in Los Angeles means we're close to having exciting things happen, but in some ways we're just as far away as someone living in Nebraska. So. Ian and I both decided it would be best for our family if we didn't go out on anymore 'interviews'. It's just not a good fit for me.
As we joked around with the boys, and I put the babies down for the night and chatted with Ian, I savored our time together. While it wasn't my first choice, I'm glad that I don't have to worry about running my kids around, leaving Caleb and Julian at home, and being immersed in the child actor milieu on a bustling, crazy set on a show about divorced women getting it on. As the day revealed, even as I tried to be sensible, I shot all the way over to one extreme on the balance beam with such speed that I frightened myself. And for what? I thought, I'm really happy here, in my living room, with my kids and my husband. And this is where the universe wants me right now.
So yeah, some baby boys around 11months old are going to be on Cougar Town, but not mine. And the first chance I got, I returned the outfits. Figured I may as well save the money for the kids' college fund ;)

12 comments:

Katey said...

I don't know...your boys seem pretty sweet to me! Still, maybe you have to get a taste of the insanity to really realize that it's not for you. Harder to have fun and enjoy your kids with showbiz-plus there's the stress. Glad to hear that you survived that little adventure in one piece, I would've probably gone way overboard.

lyndsey said...

this story is hilarious -- i love listening to your internal commentary. hahah! i for one think jack & christian could easily be child model/actors -- but who wants the drama [and britney spears-rebound-potential] of that?? good choice. leave the weird kid fame to jon&kate+8 :)

Katie said...

i love you melissa. jack and christian can be in my home movies i shoot in a few weeks...just be sure they are looking like the movie stars they are!

ashlee said...

Melissa, I love that you did that. I always try not to make things a big deal and then I get all caught up in the glory of it. I must say, your boys are pretty famous around our house.

Jaime said...

That is nuts! I can see myself reacting the same way - at the end of the totally not worth it a second time, but worth it the first time. Oui La Pomme sounds heavenly - I need to find one of those too around here.

Eileen Young said...

I just laughed & laughed at your blog. Why not send it to be published?? Readers' Digest or some other magazine? It is hilarious!
Love you
Grannie

Justin said...

I love it!! I can't believe you didn't tell me about any of this. And for the record, I probably would have cried right there on the lot. You're boys are so darling!

Jaima said...

Yes, the living room sounds like a much happier/less stressful place to be!

Bonnie White said...

Melissa, I enjoyed reading about this experience mostly because of your candid and self accepting remarks. When you said you were the one who liked to be picked I could so relate to that comment. And then I remembered President Hinckley's remarks "Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he has been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just like people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, and most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is just like an old time rail journey ... delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."
And a ride you had. A learning experience. And I agree with your Grandmother. Send this to be published. It is wonderful.

D.W. Bailey said...

Melissa, I somehow found your blog on facebook and that post was so refreshing and hilarious. You are fantastic at journaling your crazy experiences. What an experience! Haha. Thanks for sharing. I think this is my new favorite read.

Frannie

LAss said...

Hey Melissa--
Followed the link to your blog from the email I got today about Oui La Pomme...
So funny to hear your vacillation about wanting to be picked and not wanting to get sucked into the Hollywood hype. I used to comment to my husband whenever we went to auditions that it made me feel like such a shallow person because I would always compare our girls to the competition. Hollywood makes you crazy! Glad to see you have taken it in stride.

Nora said...

I loved reading about your glancing blow with stage-momdom. What a stressful existance it must be for those parents. I totally agree with the moral of your story. When you're a baby, cozy home trumps glamorous hustle & bustle any day :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails