Saturday, June 21, 2008

a means, a stage, a cow-in-calf

Come on people! Why am I so large? And don't just say twins, because this is really, really big even for twins considering there are still FOUR MONTHS LEFT.

I look back on my college dayplanners with a sort of bygone fascination- so many classes, so many worlds of intellectual exploration, so many people, places and events to experience... I had to write in really teeny handwriting to get down all the things that were going on. Reading it makes my head spin. Today my dayplanner (if I needed it right now) has just one word for each day: incubate. I mean, I do some other things too- reading, eating, teethbrushing, but let's be honest, I've never written 'clip toenails' in my dayplanner before, even just to make it feel like I'm doing more than I really am. Sylvia Plath's poem Metaphors made me laugh- (can you guess what the riddle is?)

I'm a riddle in nine syllables,
An elephant, a ponderous house,
A melon strolling on two tendrils.
O red fruit, ivory, fine timbers!
This loaf's big with its yeasty rising.
Money's new-minted in this fat purse.
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf
I've eaten a bag of green apples,
Boarded the train there's no getting off.

These kids are growing so fast that my loaf is HUGE with yeasty rising right now. The thing is, having the pace of life slow down has been welcome in some ways- my dependency has drawn me closer to a lot of people, has left me spleechless with gratitude for so many kind deeds, reminded me how much I love reading, and even given me something to blog about. Every cloud has its silver lining. Nice to know, because once you board the train, there's no getting off!!

6 comments:

Our Family said...

Melissa-
I feel the same way and I'm only having one and I'm due a few weeks after you.
I told Wes this is pretty much the ultimate sacrifice. I'm completly giving myself and my body for another. I laugh when I look in the mirror but am so thankful for our bodies amazing abilities to reture to their normal shape and size.
I can tell you have a great outlook on all this and believe you're going to do great. Happy rising!

lyndsey said...

lol you are hilarious. "incubate." what a lovely life stage to be in :)

Unknown said...

I think you look great! Sounds like you're taking bed rest in stride and doing as well as a woman on bed rest can be doing.

I tried adding you to the invite list for my blog, but realized I don't have an email address for you and I think my address for Ian is old. Can you email your email address to goingprivate888@gmail.com?
Thanks!

Amberly said...

you're hilarious. I'm glad you're seeing the positive around you right now. You look fantastic- please pass on any good reads you come across while you incubate!

Jaime said...

I hear ya! You look great despite how you might feel. I am just a month behind you and already I am very nervous about how big I am going to get. YIKES! I think the pregnancy might do me in. Hang in there and what great helpers you've got! I am super jealous!

Jaime said...

I hear ya! You look great despite how you might feel. I am just a month behind you and already I am very nervous about how big I am going to get. YIKES! I think the pregnancy might do me in. Hang in there and what great helpers you've got! I am super jealous!

Related Posts with Thumbnails