Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Block Party and Simple Parenting

"Children's play flourishes when we let it, rather than make it happen" Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier and More Secure Kids
Photobucket
Over the weekend our new neighborhood had a Block Party! It's the first one I've been to and I loved the casual easiness of it as everyone gathered on the street and just hung out. It was nearly an all day event and we were there for 4+ hours with a bounce house, slide, pinata and the teenagers on the street playing for the families. I love activities like this- easy, fun, simple, we just let our kids play and play and play and they cried when it was time to go. It was a side of Los Angeles I hadn't seen before, families and people of all ages in a community interacting and enjoying.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
When I look back on the things I've read so far, across the board a common theme from the experts is that parents need to simplify life. Simplify life to connect with kids more, to not push them into too many stressful activities/events, to decipher what they really need, to keep their emotional tanks full and verbalize the positive things they are doing. Scheduling our day has been huge for me, mostly because I come ready to "be there" for them. I'm working on some big charts for my kids, a binder for me, and a checklist of all the goals I'm working on to take it one step further.
But there are still days when they resist my requests, and I want to continue to bring more peace to our home. While I realize it's not necessary, I'm curious to see what the experts say, if there are more tools I can use. I still have a lot of books to get through...
Photobucket

5 comments:

ashlee said...

Oh, how is the old neighborhood? How is Liz and Stephanie? I miss it. Looks like you guys had fun.

Julie Pia said...

Hi Melisa!
I just wanted to pop over and say HI! I absolutely LOVE your blog. Sure wish I had a camera like yours..... maybe someday!

Hope all is well with you and your darling lil fam!
lots of LOVE...

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I'm totally with you on the less is more thing! Thanks for joining the Family Proclamation conversation happening this month! - Jocelyn

Laura said...

Can't wait to hear how the scheduling actually is working for you. I'm finding it rather difficult. Maybe my kid is too young for the things I think she'll find enjoyable.

Lindsay said...

Love you. Can I just say that I do?

Related Posts with Thumbnails