Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Place for Everything- the Binder that Rocks the House

"I enjoy an organized lifestyle because it helps me get what I want. Good home management skills provide a cheerful background for living. A well-managed home eliminates much tension and irritability." Denise Schofield Confessions of an Organized Homemaker
Photobucket
I first learned about the power of planners from Denise Schofield. She's a big believer in 1. writing down goals (run a marathon, take a cooking class, have more obedient children :)- 2. making a to-do list that includes steps to reaching those goals as well as other things that need doing 3. plugging those to-do items down on a time-map/ schedule.

Some version of that system is advised by tons of other experts. I love Jamie C. Martin's take on the mom binder in Steady Days, and recently compiled a binder for myself and my lovely feedback-ladies. I sewed the covers out of oilcloth- they're not going up for sale on etsy any time soon, but they sure stay clean and I loved the colours.
Photobucket
A one stop shop for blank day schedules, my ideas page, a place for goals, my to-do list, a section for each child, my church service: it's changing my life. When I have a minute at the doctor's or before bed, I will write down a quick moment/cute thing that my kids are doing. I love recording those because I know I'll forget them; I never had a place before now. I put recipes and other odds and ends that looking interesting in plastic sleeves. Each night when I do our schedule for the next day, including a grocery list if I'm going shopping, I check for ideas.

Also, can I tell you that I brought it to Caleb's physical therapy appointment yesterday? Can I tell you how impressed the therapist was when she saw me place the handouts she gave me securely inside a binder and was doubly impressed when I took notes on her suggestions in my binder. I can now quickly access everything and put it into my daily schedule. She couldn't believe it. I kid you not, when she saw how seriously and professionally I was taking her job and my job she offered an additional FREE session so we could cover things we didn't get to that day.
Photobucket
I'm still working on getting some monthly calendars in there and accepting the reality that there just isn't enough time to do everything I want. But seriously, it's just given me a little extra help that's gone a long way when I really needed it. Nicole and Char I will be sending them to you next week.
Photobucket
"When I have things running smoothly, our home is the happiest, most peaceful place I know"- Denise Schofield

3 comments:

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

I am so excited I can't even tell you! Your ideas have helped me so much to be a better mom.

C.J. Schneider said...

I can't wait! This binder is just what I need. THANKS!!!!!!

Amberly said...

seriously, this is brilliant. are you sharing the details of the binder?

Related Posts with Thumbnails