Thursday, September 09, 2010

Ideas for Planning a Steady Day With Young Children

"All of us know that our children quickly pick up on our stress and attitude, even when it is unspoken... How perceptive my children are; nothing slips by them. This is my motivation to stay organized. It's hard to be cheerful when you're running late... If I'm feeling pressured, I am less gentle, less attentive, and less pleasant to be around. Organization is a priority for me because it blesses my children" Jamie C. Martin, Steady Days: A Journey Toward Intentional, Professional Motherhood
Photobucket>
I used to feel like a deer caught in the headlights a lot during the day- what do we do next? But following the ideas from Steady Days and seeing each day in visual has helped a lot. I seriously love this schedule idea! Before going to bed I pick up one of my basic print out sheets and sketch in the plan-here's a typed sample because I'm messy with my pages. I usually have my planner so I can work in things from my to-do lists and put down any appointments we might have. I also check my ideas page listing all the 'times': Storytime, Arttime, Learningtime, Free Play, etc. A lot of them I only get to once or twice a week, so it's nice to mix it up so we can get to the important things ;)

I don't let myself get frustrated or irritated if we don't stick to it exactly because I know that it's a blueprint, a starting place, for hitting all the things I want to do that day. Seeing those finite little blocks helps me realize that there is only so much time; but over the course of a week we usually can get to everything important. I still need discipline to get up and keep things moving at a gentle, but steady pace (more on that later). Because I work a little from home and have help that comes a couple times a week I don't have a ton of housework. Martin, the Steady Days author, also says it's hard to create a schedule other than something quite basic if there's a baby in the home less than six months.

My goal is to use the schedule every day for 28 days so I can make it a habit. Has anyone else tried this schedule thing? If you leave a comment with some feedback before Monday I will pick someone to send a starter binder like the one I'm putting together for myself complete with a supply of daily planner sheets and a spot to write Mom's Favorite Moments. Martin has also posted a bunch of resource pages here that are great.

2 comments:

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

I am loving your blog lately. And I love the concept of "steady days" I get really short with my kids when we're running late for something. I have always written a list of what I want to accomplish that day, but lately I've been using more of your format of planning out what I will do with my kids and I love it! I haven't done just fun things either, we also have cleaning time, which they both hate, but it has helped me a lot - or will eventually I hope:)

I think you're doing great, it was so fun to see you guys, and I can't wait to here what you thought of Utah.

C.J. Schneider said...

Thanks so much for linking your typed schedule. I really love it. I especially love the way your morning is structured - what a great way to start everyday. Now me putting this into practice will be tough - I just might give it a go though.
It would be great to make a big poster with the schudule on it for the kids to be able to read and talk about. I've heard children love to know what's going to happen in their day as much as adults do. Also it might help them learn about time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails